Unconventional Gift Guide for Mother’s Day
- April 30, 2020
Hello Friends and sorry for the delay in putting this out. What a time we live in. When I switched completely to using clean and safer personal care products and eventually decided to join as a consultant** with Beautycounter last year, I never would have thought that more that 7 months later I would be creating an unconventional gift guide for Mother’s Day. Unconventional times call for categories like:
[Click to jump to category]
- Speak Moistly
- Frontliner Care
- Keep Calm and Facial and Spa at Home
- Zoomference Ready
- Party in Place
- Sunny Backyard Vacations
Here we are, thanks to Covid-19. Pandemic times. Before midnight last night I was going to do the usual route of “Under $50, $100, $150 gifts”, then I changed my mind. I like making myself useful and I think these categories would really help you find practical, useful, and hopefully fun and stress-relieving gift ideas for the special moms and mom-figures in your life. You might even find something for yourself. 😉 If you have questions or need help finding gifts, let me know. You can reach me by email at email@example.com
** If you find this guide helpful, I would appreciate your support. Your purchase through any of the links below directly benefits me as a small business owner.
Order early. There are 2-3 day delays in shipping in Canada and in the US.
* – not included in the 20% off promo for new customers ending May 31, 2020 at 11:59 PST
V – vegan
$ – $50 CAD or under with 20% off promo for new customers ending May 31, 2020 at 11:59 PST
$$ – $75 CAD or under with 20% off promo for new customers ending May 31, 2020 at 11:59 PST
$$$ – over $75 CAD with 20% off promo for new customers ending May 31, 2020 at 11:59 PST
I know, I know. Most Canadians would be triggered right now and by that I mean, they would be reminded of our Prime Minister’s recent press conference gaffe when he spoke about wearing masks to prevent moisture transfer. I do mean moisture for the skin, not droplets in the air. 😉
Moisture for Overwashed Hands
- Countermatch Adaptive Body Lotion ($) – non-greasy and quick absorbing, it provides all-day hydration and is my top favourite out of all the moisturizers and creams that Beautycounter carries. It is unscented and I have one bottle in my office.
- Melting Body balm ($)- luxurious vacation in a tube; a rich balm that smells of coconut and melts into your skin. An absolute treat to slather on after a bath. I wouldn’t advise this for anyone who does not like the smell of coconut oil.
- Hand Cream Citrus Mimosa ($; comes in bottle w/ pump or tube) – lightweight moisturizing cream, but richer in texture than the Adaptive Body Lotion. Scent is very light as well.
- Limited Edition Hand Cream Trio – purse-friendly 30-ml tubes that can also go in various rooms at home—with all that hand washing, it makes sense to have one handy. Each of these have very light, natural scents that disappear after a while, if scent is a concern.
Stay Clean and Moisturized Combo
Washing hands for 20 seconds with soap is still one of the most effective ways to reduce the spread of pathogens. This set just makes sense as a gift to give together.
- Citrus Mimosa Hand Wash & Hand Cream Set ($) – This is the combo to get if you want to make sure Mom’s regular hand wash is also moisturizing.
Heroes at home and beyond, moms on the frontlines have to wear masks that are itchy and dig into skin. Imagine wearing it for more than 8-14…maybe 16 hours. Here are some products that might help address their different skin concerns.
- Counter+ Lotus Glow Cleansing Balm ($$; V) – this is a verysoothing balm for rashes. Yes, it says cleansing, but it has so many other moisturizing qualities and it works very well as a leave-on hydrating mask.
- Counter+ Overnight Resurfacing Peel ($$ ;V),
- Counter+ Charcoal Facial Mask ($); and
- Countercontrol SOS Acne Spot Treatment [$] will help with breakouts and congestion from medical masks.
- Charcoal Cleansing Bar ($; V) a gentle soap that helps detoxify and absorb impurities without drying the skin.
Keep Calm and Facial and Spa at Home
- Counter+ Overnight Resurfacing Peel ($$ ;V); and
- Counter+ Charcoal Facial Mask ($) are skincare workhorses. I recommend this super combo to anyone to add to anyone’s existing skincare routine. The facial mask removes impurities and the resurfacing peel is like a facial in a bottle. Used 2-3 times a week, there is a noticeable difference in skin clarity and texture.
- Not sure if Mom already has a skincare routine? Counterstart Cococream Cleanser ($; V) with
- Counterstart Cocoboost Moisturizer ($; V) is a great starting point. This is the keep-it-simple face routine and will work well the the Overnight Resurfacing Peel and Charcoal Facial Mask.
- Counter+ Eye Revive Cooling Masks* ($) brighten the eyes and reduces puffiness in a pinch.
- Not into Eye Masks? The Countertime Ultra Renewal Eye Cream ($$; V) is the first eye cream I’ve used that made a visible difference on dark undereye areas and fine lines. This is my “holy grail” product.
- Counter+ All Bright C Serum* ($$$; V) is the daytime partner of the Overnight Resurfacing Peel. This antioxidant rich serum is packed with 10% ultra stable Vitamin C, Turmeric Extract, and Camu Camu (or Youthberry Extract) and is formulated to brighten the skin, even out skin tone and reduce the appearance of dark spots.
- Splurging on a skincare routine for Mom? There are several options for different regimens depending on her skin type and needs or you can always pick and choose. I can definitely help you with this, just reach out by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Limited Edition Lemongrass Body Set ($$) is a self-care must-have. The Body Scrub gently polishes the skin with brown sugar and a luxurious blend of essential oils. Finish off with the Body Butter and you’ll be transported to a spa beyond the confines of Staying In Shelter. I highly recommend this.
- You can also get the Sugar Body Scrub in Lemongrass ($; V) separately. This is fantastic to use for at-home manicure and pedicure as well.
Flawless in Five ($$$) – Beautycounter has had this way before Zoom and online meetings became the new norm. “Effortless Beauty in Five Minutes” is what we are trying to achieve here and I can assure you, I am even able to do it in less with these 6 products that are included in the set:
- Tint Skin Hydrating Foundation or Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer
- Touchup Skin Concealer Pen
- Color Define Brow Pencil or Brilliant Brow Gel
- Lengthening or Volumizing Mascara
- Satin Powder Blush
- Lip Gloss
Party in Place
No one is going out to wine and dine these days, but there surely have been a lot more virtual dinner parties happening, from Fancy Fridays to online Happy Hour. The basic Flawless in Five kit can be taken up a notch with more colour and sparkles for that fancy date with friends and family.
- Limited Edition Give ‘Em Lip Trio ($$$; V) Beautycounter’s Seventh Anniversary of pioneering clean beauty definitely makes a statement with 3 bold colors: a gutsy and vibrant red, bright fuschia pink, and a soft coral pink makes this set a party in a box. Moisturizing and long lasting, with a hint of peppermint. The lipstick tube is made with responsibly sourced paper and the bold packaging is designed by Portland based artist, Lisa Congdon. [Her art just makes me smile.]
- You can also get these Give ‘Em Lip colours individually ($; V)
- Eye Sparklers Palette ($) has four buildable and wearable sparkling shades formulated with ethically sourced Mica, not glitter.
- Sheer Lipstick ($; V) for that touch of shade in a silky smooth formula with a hint of natural vanilla. Sometimes a little colour is all one needs to perk up the day.
- Mini Lip Gloss Vault ($$$) is a collection of 10 different shades of lip gloss from daytime to sparkle party time. Ultra moisturizing and non-sticky formula with a Mandarin Violet scent.
Sunny Backyard Vacations
For basking in the sun, or enjoying some sunny outdoor physical distancing and mental health walks. These are non-nano all-mineral sunscreens that are reef-friendly. Our sunny beach vacations might be on hold, but the UV rays are not.
- Countersun Mineral Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30 ($) is a sheer moisturizing lotion formula that doesn’t leave a whitecast on the skin, and the
- Countersun Mineral Sunscreen Mist SPF 30 ($, V) is a non-aerosol air-powered spray that goes on white to guide with application, but dries sheer and non-oily. This also comes in two shades: Countersun Tinted Mineral Sunscreen Mist SPF 30.
Whew. I think that’s it! I hope that helps you pick up a gift for mom. If you have questions or need help customizing gifts, let me know. Please reach out by email at email@example.com