Maskne (Mask Acne) Fighters — What Works
- July 29, 2020
It’s been two months since I dropped a post in here and many things have happened since then. We’ve ventured out more. We have dined out at restaurant patios a handful of times. I have seen my massage and physical therapists, and had gone out with ONE friend. I had a face mask all the time—except when eating, of course. Yes, you can call me that person who is being extra careful. It really doesn’t hurt me and I have no interest in spreading or contracting Covid-19.
I wear a mask because I care.
We will likely have to wear masks for many more months if we want to continue moving freely outside until a vaccine is safe for mass use. I decided to make masks because I gave up on the disposable ones after using two of them. They were uncomfortable, itchy, and didn’t fit right. Because I am picky and crafty, I made it my mission to make masks that check off everything on my wish list. After months of wearing and tweaking them, I have settled on a design that I am happy to wear and proud to share.
All of this testing also means my skin has been subjected to the warm and humid “environment” of the fitted face mask. While it is imperative that it fits snuggly around the face, what’s good for public health safety can lead to skin irritation, such as acne, rash, or rosacea. It’s true, in the grand scheme of things, this is nothing.
I used to suffer from chronic acne on my chin.
It was a real struggle. Yup, it was not pretty. Some evolved into cystic acne. It was painful and annoying. Wearing mask would have physically hurt. It wasn’t until last year that I got that chin situation under control. In fact, I rarely ever get them anymore, thanks to a robust skincare regimen that my skin now loves. I must admit I was still worried when I started wearing masks, but months later, my skin is still behaving.
What helps with “maskne” (mask acne)?
These skincare favourites of mine have really kept skin flareups at the bare minimum. I did notice that when I felt lazy about using them regularly, I start getting small bumps. Consistent use of great products that are a good match for you works.
The power couple:
- Counter+ Charcoal Facial Mask – A mask for a mask. The charcoal mask is hands-down, the number one skin helper. Leave it on for 10 minutes every other day, this purifying, balancing, and detoxifying mask with gentle exfoliation really helps with skin congestion from regular mask wear. This can also be used as a spot treatment.
- Counter+ Overnight Resurfacing Peel – Clear away dead skin cells and smoothen the skin. This is spa for the skin that I use 3-4x a week. “Peel” may sound harsh, but it is anything but, yet it does the job.
Bonus: You can get this together in the Think Clean Welcome Set when you become a member. For $29/year, it is like Amazon Prime with free shipping, plus you earn product credits on qualified items.
- Counter+ All Bright C Serum – If you follow me on Instagram, check my highlights for my month-long daily experiment with this serum. I haven’t stopped using it since April because this potent blend of antioxidants and moisturizing ingredients—Vitaminc C, turmeric and camu-camu— keeps my skin soft with a healthy glow.
- Countercontrol SOS Acne Spot Treatment – Gentle yet effective. Gets rid of the bumps in a day or two. Nuff said.
- Countercontrol Clear Pore Cleanser – Gets rid of the grime without irritating the skin. Great for normal to oily skin.
- Counter+ Charcoal Cleansing Bar – Deep cleaning, balancing, and detoxifying. This one really leaves my skin smooth. Good for all skin types.
If you’ve read this far, I have a treat (or two) for you!
First time Beautycounter clients (with a unique email address…hint, hint), can avail of a 20% discount until the end of July 2020. Use this clean code: CLEANFORALL20.
It’s a terrific time to get clean beauty and arm yourself with the best face mask skin helpers. Always feel free to get in touch if you have any questions.
Extra extra! All clients who purchase this month will get free shipping and 10% off reusable cloth face masks from my store until August. The shop will launch this week. 🙂
Disclaimer: I am a Beautycounter consultant because I believe in advocating for cleaner and safer personal care products. I use all the products mentioned in this post. http://betterbeautywithjoy.com